The Middle East is the home of some of the world’s leading oil exporting countries, and Japan is highly dependent upon oil imports from the Middle East. The Middle Eastern countries have developed their infrastructure and industries by utilizing their enormous oil revenues and importing technologies and technological know-how from Western and Asian countries including Japan. As the population of the Middle East rapidly increases, the area is becoming more attractive as a consumer market. On the other hand, the situation in the Middle East is ever changing and involves geopolitically complicated issues, as seen with the recent lifting of economic sanctions on Iran resulting from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) agreed in July 2015.
With respect to matters involving Middle Eastern countries that have a high potential as consumer markets as well as the complicated issues mentioned above, we provide a wide variety of strategic legal services to our clients, including public sector agencies and private institutions both on a domestic and overseas basis.
The related business sectors include energy and resources, construction, finance, real estate, the medical and pharmaceutical industry, and other types of manufacturing, and the distribution of products and the provision of services.
The fields covered by our legal services vary, ranging from transactional matters (including M&A deals, Islamic or other conventional types of financial transactions, and distributorship agreements), regulatory matters (including foreign investment, agency regulations, economic sanctions and export control), dispute resolution matters (including litigation and arbitration cases, cases under the investment treaties), and general research projects regarding the legal regimes and practices in the Middle East.
Our Middle-East practice team has published many books and articles, including the “Business Law Guidebook of Saudi Arabia” in 2009, “Business Law Guidebook of the Middle Eastern Countries” in 2010, “Legal Practice in the Middle Eastern Countries and the Civil Code of the UAE” in 2013, and “Business Law and Practice in the Islamic Area” in 2014. In order to update the books and articles mentioned above, in March 2015, the team published the “Business Law Guidebook of the Middle Eastern Countries”, which widely covers the Middle Eastern area. In addition, our team published the “Business Law Guidebook of Iran” in March 2016, to provide our clients with up-to-date information on Iran, which has been attracting increasing attention following the lifting of economic sanction in January 2016.
- Nippon Paint Holdings Co., Ltd. - Acquisition of Betek Boya ve Kimya Sanayi A.Ş.
- Establishment of a joint venture company between Toho Titanium Co., Ltd., The National Titanium Dioxide Company Ltd. (Cristal) and The National Industrialization Company (Tasnee) to manufacture titanium sponge in Saudi Arabia.
- Advised guests at the Japanese-Saudi Business Opportunities Forum
- 2010 - 2011
- Advised the Emirate of Ras Al Khaimah (UAE), regarding the issuance of its bond
- Provided advice regarding the issuance of Islamic Bonds (Sukuk), and the sales and purchase of such bonds
- Advised a major Japanese supplier of machinery with respect to the commercial agency laws in the Middle East, including providing analysis of commercial agency agreements in the Middle East
- Advised a major Japanese logistics company with respect to a bid tendering for a governmental project, including providing analysis of the most appropriate corporate structure to perform its required tasks in the Middle East
- Advised a major Japanese energy company with respect to the establishment of a local entity in the Middle East
- Advised a major Japanese trading company with respect to the establishment of a local presence in the Middle East, including providing analysis on commercial agency laws and regulations
- Researched the commercial agency laws and regulations of several countries in the Middle East and provided analysis on plans for expanding the business
United Arab Emirates: Recent measures implemented by the UAE authorities in response to COVID-19 (As of March 18, 2020)Articles
How Globally Operating Companies Should Handle Matters Regarding Economic Sanctions and the Elimination of 'Anti-Social Forces'Seminars