Japanese manufacturing companies continue to actively expand their businesses into Indonesia making large-scale investments, including in resource exploitation and public infrastructure projects. With the current economic growth and expansion of consumer markets in Indonesia, business opportunities for Japanese companies including in the fields of consumer goods, information technology, contents provision and venture capital investment are also expanding.
However, Japanese companies wishing to invest or operate in Indonesia face many difficulties such as restrictions on foreign investment, vague wording of laws and regulations and broad administrative discretion. Japanese companies are also sometimes involved in serious disputes with local companies and others.
We provide a wide range of high quality legal services to Japanese clients in connection with their investments and expansion into Indonesia, acquisition of Indonesian companies and their daily business operations in Indonesia (commercial transactions, compliance, labor matters and/or dispute resolution). When necessary, we also provide legal services in cooperation with Indonesian law firms, with which we have long established relationships, including our affiliated law firm in Indonesia, which is where our lawyers are based.
We tailor our legal services according to our clients’ needs and each type of case. Our attorneys are experienced in providing legal services in Southeast Asian countries, and include attorneys who have worked for local Indonesian law firms, and those with experience covering various practice areas.
- Honda Motor Co.: Agreement to establish a joint venture company in Indonesia with Panasonic Corporation
- Contract creation regarding the acquisition of industrial park land in Indonesia by a Japanese manufacturing company
- Loan contract review for maritime purchase transactions by a Japanese trading company
- Contract creation regarding share transfers by a Japanese manufacturer to terminate a joint venture in Indonesia
- Contract creation regarding the establishment of a joint venture in Indonesia by a Japanese securities company
- Expansion by a Japanese retail company into Indonesia / Due diligence investigations
- Expansion by a Japanese staffing company into Indonesia
- Advice regarding a joint venture between a Japanese company and an Indonesian company in the travel sector
- Advice regarding a joint venture between a Japanese company and an Indonesian company in the IT sector
- Creation of an investment contract and provision of advice on other legal issues for a US company investing into an Indonesian (food) company / Advice regarding the increase of capital in an Indonesian (food) company
Nishimura & Asahi enters new Indonesian association, Simplifications and Regulatory Improvement in Indonesia’s Energy and Mining Sectors (March 2018)Natural Resources & Energy Newsletter
New Indonesian Regulation requiring prior Government notification and approval of transfers of interests in the Energy and Natural Resources Sector (October 2017)Natural Resources & Energy Newsletter
Gross Split PSC: Changes to the Indonesian Production Sharing Contract (April 2017)Natural Resources & Energy Newsletter