Since its founding by the late Mr. Nishimura, Nishimura & Asahi has provided its clients with legal services for their cross border transactions, and the firm continues to expand the range of such services into a growing number of countries.
In addition to the cross border legal transaction and dispute works specifically described in the following chapters, N&A has considerable experience in providing both Japanese and non-Japanese clients with the following traditional legal services relating to cross border transactions:
- advice on foreign direct investment (including negotiations with regulators)
- distributorship agreements
- franchising agreements
- technology license agreements (including negotiations with regulators)
- joint venture and shareholders agreements
Furthermore, Nishimura & Asahi has the necessary expertise in foreign exchange regulations, labor law, real property, competition laws and international trade laws of Japan and foreign countries to advise on these types of cross border transactions and disputes.
Nishimura & Asahi has a long history of providing legal services regards to both inbound and outbound transactions, as well as the increasing foreign direct investment by Japanese companies. In response to this, Nishimura & Asahi has expanded its branch office network in Asian countries, where Japanese clients are expanding their presence, and increased the number of its foreign legal staff qualified in various jurisdictions. Furthermore, N&A’s Japanese lawyers with experience working in India, the Middle East, and Latin American countries provide legal advice relating to these jurisdictions through their close relationships with leading local firms.
- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. - MOU on a strategic alliance with General Motors Co.
- Loan for a methanol production and sales business in Saudi Arabia
- Japan Overseas Infrastructure Investment Corporation for Transport & Urban Development - Acquisition of Cad Railway Industries, Ltd.
- T&D Holdings, Inc. - Partnership with Carlyle Group to acquire majority stake in Fortitude Group Holdings from AIG
- Financing the lithium-production expansion project at the Olaroz salt lake in Argentina
- Stripe International Inc. - Acquisition of stake in Vietnam's Global Fashion Trading Corp.
- Mitsui & Co., Ltd. - Acquisition of stake in Minh Phu Seafood Joint Stock Company
- The Supreme Court of the Union of Myanmar - Publication of the Case Study Book on International Transactions
- Sushiro Global Holdings Ltd. - Acquisition of a minority stake in Wasabi Sushi Bento Ltd.
- Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance Co., Ltd.: Acquisition of stake in UK offshore windfarm project
Amendments to Japan's Foreign Direct Investment Law - Post-Acquisition Ongoing ObligationsOthers
Amendments to Japan’s Foreign Direct Investment RegulationsSeminars
Webinar: Recorded on: Wednesday, September 2, 2020. Publication period: Monday, Septemberl 7, 2020 - Thursday, December 28, 2020 5:00pm
Summary of UK High Court Case regarding Force Majeure and Indirect Damage (2 Entertain Video Ltd v Sony DADC Europe Ltd (2020))Articles
Thai Regulation on Foreign Companies (1/2) Business Operation under the Foreign Business ActFinance Law Newsletter
Real Estate Investment Trusts in Thailand Structure, Set-up Conditions, and Income TaxationFinance Law Newsletter
Tips for Foreign Secured Creditors in Thailand: Requirements for Registration of Securities and Additional ConditionsFinance Law Newsletter
Yuri Sugano and Tatsuaki Murakami were involved in a survey on the chapter “Resolving Insolvency” in Doing Business 2018, published by the World Bank Group, U.S.A.Notices