N&A has extensive experience of representing companies filing for corporate reorganization and civil rehabilitation proceedings, from large-scale companies such as Japan Airlines to small and mid-sized businesses. The process can be arduous comprising of more than just the completion of legal formalities for a debtor and can extend to the evaluation of numerous pieces of information, including financial data, to determine reorganization strategies; determining appropriate procedures; analyzing the debtor’s cash flow; evaluating anticipated problems and determining solutions; preparing explanations for customers, employees and the media; planning ahead to avoid disruptions and confusion at the debtor’s branches and offices; negotiating with interested parties; negotiating with and choosing sponsors; preparing reorganization plans; and providing explanations to creditors.
As the largest group of its kind in Japan with over 50 attorneys specializing in insolvency, we are able to provide our clients and all interested parties with a high quality and expeditious legal service.
In addition to advising debtors, we also provide various restructuring services (such as acting as corporate reorganization trustees, and providing legal services to sponsors interested in purchasing a debtor’s business, as well as to creditors and customers requiring negotiation with trustees) by promptly and efficiently assembling the most suitable team for each individual case.
- Related practice areas
- M&APrivate EquityCross-border M&ACorporate DisputesCorporate & Commercial TransactionsBankruptcyLiquidation Proceedings/Special Liquidation ProceedingsOut-of-Court WorkoutsEarly Stage RestructuringCross-border RestructuringCivil LitigationCivil Disputes Arising from Corporate ScandalsIP TransactionsInternal Investigations & Outside InvestigationsAccounting FraudTax PlanningTax CounselingLabor LawBusiness SuccessionsInfrastructure/PPPElectricity/GasNatural Resources & EnergyTelecommunicationsBroadcasting Internet/Cyber LawFilmEntertainmentSportsMedicine/Medical DevicesMedical Field/HealthcareHealthcare IT/Medical CloudBiotechnologyElectronicsAutomotive & Auto PartsAerospace/SpaceRobotics/Artificial IntelligenceChemicals
- Emori Group Holdings Co., Ltd.
- 2011 - 2012
- Private restructuring of a major automobile tool manufacturing company
- Japan Airlines
- Anabuki Construction Inc.
- Radia Holdings Inc.
- ES-CON Japan Ltd.
- Joint Corporation
- Yohji Yamamoto
- Suzuki Mokuzai Kogyo Co., Ltd.
- Chinontec Industries Inc.
The International Comparative Legal Guide to Corporate Recovery & Insolvency 2018: JapanArticles
The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Corporate Recovery & Insolvency 2017 (Japan Chapter)Articles
Cash Pooling and Insolvency : A Practical Global Handbook, Second Edition (Japan Chapter)Articles
Yuri Sugano and Tatsuaki Murakami were involved in a survey on the chapter “Resolving Insolvency” in Doing Business 2018, published by the World Bank Group, U.S.A.Notices