Many Japanese companies including trading companies have been investing in Australia, in particular projects relating to its natural resources. In recent years, Japanese companies from other industries, such as service industries, have started to have an interest in expanding their businesses toward Oceanian’s growing markets including New Zealand. This trend has been encouraged by the effectuation of the Agreement Between Japan and Australia For an Economic Partnership on January 15, 2015.
We provide a wide range of high quality legal services to Japanese clients, in connection with their investments and expansion into Australia, acquisitions of Oceanian companies and their daily business operations in Oceania (commercial transactions, compliance, labor matters and/or dispute resolution).
Additionally, making use of our robust and long-standing network, we are also able to optimally involve and collaborate with trusted leading Australian and New Zealand law firms covering all regions in Oceania and/or small or medium size law firms for dealing with less complicated matters at more modest fees, corresponding to the complexity of the matter and the client’s budget.
Furthermore, our attorneys who are experienced in issues relating to Australia and New Zealand and/or have worked for local Australian law firms, as well as those with experience covering various practice areas, constitute the most effective team to handle our client’s matters, and provide legal services tailored to their needs.
- Nippon Life Insurance Co. - Acquisition of additional shares in Australia’s MLC Ltd.
- Nippon Paint Holdings Co., Ltd. - Acquisition of DuluxGroup Limited
- 2014 - 2015
- Acquisition of Toll Holdings Limited by JAPAN POST Co., Ltd.
- 2012 - 2013
- Investment in BlueScope Steel Limited by Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation
- 2008 - 2010
- Opposition to the business integration of BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto
- 2006 - 2008
- Advising investors in a dispute involving a major commercial building in New Zealand