- Japanese English
- Practice areas:
- Investor-State Dispute SettlementInternational LitigationInternational ArbitrationWTO/Regional Trade AgreementsInternational Investment Agreements & ISDSTrade Remedies & Defenses (Anti-dumping, CVD & Safeguards)Government ProcurementElectricity/GasNatural Resources & EnergyAerospace/SpaceMalaysiaPhilippinesIndonesiaThailandMyanmarEU & EU Member StatesAfrica
- Admitted in Japan (2009, readmitted in 2017)
Shimpei Ishido has been active in the field of international trade matters and international investment disputes for many years. He advises and represents governments and major corporations with regard to antidumping and countervailing duties proceedings as well as investment arbitration under ICSID, ICC and UNCITRAL arbitration rules. He currently serves as a member of the Japanese delegation to the UNCITRAL Working Group III (Investor–State Dispute Settlement Reform).
He usually provides his clients with general advice on a variety of international law issues including investment protection, government procurement, trade in services, e-commerce and space. He also has rich experience in providing capacity-building training on international investment law and trade in services to government officials of various states in the Asia-Pacific Region and Central Asia.
Before joining Nishimura & Asahi, he led, as legal counsel to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, the negotiation of Japan’s international investment agreements including the investment and trade in services chapters of the Trans-Pacific Partnership, the Japan–EU EPA, the ASEAN–Japan Comprehensive Economic Partnership, the Japan–Australia EPA, the Japan-Mongolia EPA, and the Japan–Mozambique BIT.
- University College London (LL.M. in International Law, Chevening Scholar)
- The University of Tokyo, School of Law (J.D.)
- The University of Tokyo (LL.B.)
- 2016 - 2017
- Three Crowns LLP (London)
- Volterra Fietta LLP (London)
- 2012 - 2015
- Deputy Director, Economic Treaties Division, International Legal Affairs Bureau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
- 2009 - 2012
- Linklaters Tokyo
- For details, please contact the lawyer/professional.