- Japanese English
- Practice areas:
- M&AJoint VenturesDefense against Hostile Takeover/Shareholder ActivismPrivate EquityCross-border M&ACorporate GovernanceShareholders' Meetings & Relationships with ShareholdersCorporate DisputesSecurities Litigation/Disputes Related to Financial ProductsPL LitigationCivil Disputes Arising from Corporate ScandalsCompetition/Antitrust Civil Litigation IP TransactionsTrade Secrets/Unfair CompetitionPersonal Data & Privacy/Big Data BusinessesTelecommunication & MediaCorporate Crisis ManagementComplianceCompetition Law/Antitrust LawCompetition/Antitrust Merger Regulations & FilingsProduct Liability Act, Product Safety & the Recall of ProductsCross-border Transactions (General)Global ComplianceEducational ActivitiesElectricity/GasTelecommunicationsBroadcasting Automotive & Auto PartsChemicalsChinaThailandVietnam/Mekong AreaMyanmar
- Admitted in Japan (1995)
Admitted in New York (2003)
Takefumi Sato is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions and general corporate practice groups at Nishimura & Asahi. He has represented clients in various M&A transactions and other kinds of domestic and cross-border commercial transactions, including distributorship agreements and licensing arrangements. His broad M&A experience includes business mergers involving listed companies and going private transactions via cash-out schemes and joint ventures, and covers a wide range of industries such as manufacturing and financial services. He has also advised companies on defending against unsolicited bids and hostile takeover attempts.
In addition, he has extensive knowledge of the Companies Act and the Financial Instruments and Exchange Act and has frequently counseled clients on corporate governance matters, including advice on shareholders meetings and support for business judgments. He also lectures and publishes on these areas.
Moreover, he has recently expanded his practice to advise a number of companies on emerging legal issues in situations requiring difficult business judgments, including corporate crisis management.
- Columbia University School of Law (LL.M.)
- The University of Tokyo (LL.B.)
- 2016 -
- Lecturer, University of Tsukuba Law School
- 2015 - 2017
- Advisory Committee member, Mitsubishi UFJ Kokusai Asset Management Co., Ltd.
- 2006 -
- Lecturer, Hitotsubashi University School of Law
- 2005 - 2009
- Outside Director, kabu.com Securities Co., Ltd.
- 2002 - 2003
- Debevoise & Plimpton, New York
- 2011 -
- 2010 -
- 2004 - 2005
- 1997 - 1999